What do Mobile Heavy Equipment Mechanics, Except Engines do?
Diagnose, adjust, repair, or overhaul mobile mechanical, hydraulic, and pneumatic equipment, such as cranes, bulldozers, graders, and conveyors, used in construction, logging, and surface mining.
- Repair and replace damaged or worn parts.
- Dismantle and reassemble heavy equipment using hoists and hand tools.
- Operate and inspect machines or heavy equipment to diagnose defects.
- Test mechanical products and equipment after repair or assembly to ensure proper performance and compliance with manufacturers' specifications.
- Clean, lubricate, and perform other routine maintenance work on equipment and vehicles.
- Read and understand operating manuals, blueprints, and technical drawings.
- Overhaul and test machines or equipment to ensure operating efficiency.
- Fit bearings to adjust, repair, or overhaul mobile mechanical, hydraulic, and pneumatic equipment.
- Diagnose faults or malfunctions to determine required repairs, using engine diagnostic equipment such as computerized test equipment and calibration devices.
- Examine parts for damage or excessive wear, using micrometers and gauges.
- Repair, rewire, and troubleshoot electrical systems.
- Schedule maintenance for industrial machines and equipment, and keep equipment service records.
- Research, order, and maintain parts inventory for services and repairs.
- Adjust, maintain, and repair or replace subassemblies, such as transmissions and crawler heads, using hand tools, jacks, and cranes.
- Clean parts by spraying them with grease solvent or immersing them in tanks of solvent.
- Weld or solder broken parts and structural members, using electric or gas welders and soldering tools.
- Adjust and maintain industrial machinery, using control and regulating devices.
- Assemble gear systems, and align frames and gears.
- Fabricate needed parts or items from sheet metal.
- Direct workers who are assembling or disassembling equipment or cleaning parts.
Related Jobs (Mobile Heavy Equipment Mechanics, Except Engines)